top of page

St. Bartholomew's Sproxton


Contact:  Chuch Warden Malise Graham 01476 860266

Sproxton’s church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, can trace its first vicar, Theobald, to 1208 and it was in the C13 that additions were made to the C12 Tower and earlier Norman building.  Further work was done in the C14 and in C15 when a fine octagonal font with an elaborate carved bowl was added.


On the south aisle wall near to the doorway are two charity boards, one of 1773 and one of 1830 with 1847 additions.


The organ was made for All Saints Church, Wigston Magna in 1845, brought to Sproxton  between 1882 and 1884 and it was restored in 1984. Since 1985 there have been eight bells in the tower and peals are rung regularly.   


The Church is a quarter  of a mile out of the village on high ground, giving it wonderful views over the countryside.  In the churchyard there is an Anglo Saxon or Viking (scholarly debate continues) wheel-headed cross, which is the only complete pre-conquest cross in Leicestershire.

Since 2011 the lead and copper has been stolen from the roof of the nave and tower on a number of occasions. “The Listed Places of worship Roof Repair Fund” awarded us a significant grant in 2016 which together with local fundraising and other grants enabled us to repair the roofs. 

Information taken from Sproxton Jubilee Website which has a fuller history of the Church.

bottom of page